Snake Gourd Fry with gram powder (Snakegourd Sabji, Padavalanga Thoran)
Snake Gourd - 1.5 cups (Cut into small pieces)
Garlic - 2 cloves (crushed or grated)
Turmeric - 1/4 tsp
Mustard - 1/4 tsp
Cummin - 1/4 tsp
Urad Dal - 1/2 tsp
Channa Dal - 1/2 tsp
Dry Red Chilli - 2
Oil - 2 tbsp
Salt - as needed
For Gram Powder:
Coconut - 2 tbsp (dessicated or dry coconut would be ideal. Avoid using fresh coconut, as the powder becomes
stale within few days, due to moisture in the coconut)
Sesame Seeds (White) - 2 tbsp
Fennel Seeds - 2 tbsp
Urad Dal - 2 tbsp
Channa Dal - 2 tbsp
Methi Seeds - 1/4 tsp
Cummin - 2 tsp
Garlic - 3 cloves
Red Chilli -3
Asafoetida (Hing) - 1 pinch
Curry Leaves - 2 sprigs
Preparation of Gram powder:
Heat a tawa and dry roast all the ingredients except Garlic.
Once roasted transfer them into a mixer and add salt and garlic to it.
Grind to make a fine powder. Remember not to add water to it, as it has to be a fine powder.
1. Cut the Snake Gourd into small pieces.
2. Heat oil in a Kadai, and pour oil in it. Once the oil is heated, add mustard, and wait for unto to splutter.
3. Once the mustard splutters, add cummin, urad dal and channa dal and fry till the dals turn light brown.
4. Now add red chilli, garlic and curry leaves.
5. Once the red chilli and garlic starts to give a nice aroma, add the hing, and saute well.
6. Now add the snake gourd, salt and turmeric, and mix well. Fry for 3-4 minutes in low flame, and then add 2 tbsp of Gram powder into it.
7. Mix well, and cook for 2 mins, and pull it off the stove.
8. Yummy Snake Gourd Fry is ready to be served. It goes well with Rice or Roti.