Kerala Muringakka Curry (Kerala style Drumstick Curry)
This is one curry we make very often at our home. Its quick and easy to prepare, and goes well pretty much with anything like Rice, Dosa or Chapathi.
Drumsticks - 2 (cut into pieces of 2' length)
Tomato - 1 big chopped
Coconut - 1/2 cup (Shredded or dessicated)
Cummin - 1/2 tsp
Dry Red Chilli - 2
Green Chili - 4 slit lengthwise
Water - 1 cup
Salt - as needed
Turmeric - 1/4 tsp
Red Chilli powder - 1/4 tsp (according to taste)
Oil - 1 tbsp
Mustard - 1/2 tsp
Curry Leaves - 2 sprigs
Fenugreek seeds - 1/2 tsp
Dry Red chilli - 3
1. Cut the drumsticks into pieces of 2'.
2. In a kadai, heat water, and put the Drumstick, tomatoes, and green chillies into it. Cook them untill the drumsticks become soft and are cooked well.
3. Grind coconut, cummin, dry red chillies and 1/4 cup water to a fine paste.
4. Mix the paste into the cooked drumsticks, and bring them to boil. Add turmeric, salt and chilli powder and mix well. If water is less, add more, as the consistency has to be as that for a gravy.
5. Once the gravy is boiling for sometime, pull it off the stove.
6. Now in a kadai, heat oil. Once the oil is heated, add mustard, and allow it to splutter.
7. Once all the mustard is spluttered, add fenugreek, curry leaves and dry red chilli, and fry it till the Dry red chilli turns dark red in colour.
8. Switch off the stove, and pour the tempering on top of the curry, and mix it well.
9. Drumstick curry is ready for serving ..