Brinjal Rice Indian Recipe (Egg plant Rice Indian Recipe)
Vangi Bath is a popular dish from Karnataka. I have never tried it from Karnataka, the place where I spent a major part of my life. I have tried it when my friends, get them, and started developing a liking towards it.
The home-made Vangi bath powder gives a very good flavour to the rice.
For Vangi bath powder:
1. Urad Dal - 1 tbsp
2. Chana Dal - 1 tbsp
3. Coriander seeds - 1 tbsp
4. Cloves - 1
5. Cinnamon - 1/2 inch
6. Cardamom - 1
7. Fenugreek seeds - 3/4 tbsp
8. Coconut - 2 tbsp grated
9. Red Chilli - 5
Rice - 1.5 cups
Brinjal - 5 (cut into cubes)
Oil - 1 tbsp
Mustard - 1/2 tsp
Ural Dal - 1 tsp
Channa Dal -1 tsp
Ground nuts - 1 tbsp
Curry Leaves - 2 sprigs
Tamarind - 1 gooseberry size (juice extracted)
Salt - as needed
Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
Chilli powder - as needed
1. Dry roast and grind the ingredients in the 'For Vangi bath powder' into a fine powder.
2. Cook rice and spread it on a tawa to cool down.
3. Heat oil in a tawa, and add oil to it.
4. Once the oil is heated, add the mustard seeds. Once the seeds splutter, add the Urad dal, channa dal and ground nuts, and allow them to fry well.
5. Add the brinjal and turmeric and mix well with the ingredients. Add chilli powder if the spiciness is not enough. Cover with the lid, and cook till the brinjal becomes cooked, just right. Brinjal shouldnt be overcooked, as it tends to become paste and reduces the taste of the dish.
6. Now add the tamarind paste, and allow it to cook, till all the water evaporates from the brinjal mix.
7. Now add the Vangi bath powder, prepared earlier, and mix well.
8. Now add the rice into the vangi mix, and mix it well.
9. Vangi Bath is ready !