Becoming an Australian Citizen
You can apply for Australian Citizenship, once you meet the eligibility criteria. It gives you all privileges and responsibilties as any person born in Australia. It will enable you to say 'I am Australian'.
In 2013-2014, 163, 017 people became Australian by conferral, and they were from, atleast 190 different countries, out of which 27, 827 (17.1%) were from India.
to view more on Facts-and-statistics
Becoming an Australian citizen gives you the following privileges.
As an Australian citizen you have the right to:
• vote in federal and state or territory elections, and in a referendum
• apply for work in the Australian Public Service or in the Australian Defence Force
seek election to parliament
• apply for an Australian passport and re-enter Australia freely
• receive help from an Australian official while overseas
• register children born overseas as Australian citizens by descent.
To become a Citizen, and apply for Citizenship, you have to meet one of the below Eligibility criteria:
• Migrant with permanent residence
• Spouse or partner of an Australian
• New Zealand citizen living in Australia
• Child born overseas to an Australian citizen
• Child adopted overseas by an Australian citizen
• Child of a former Australian citizen
• Person who lost or gave up Australian citizenship
• Commonwealth Child Migration Scheme arrival
• Person born in Papua before independence in 1975
• Refugee and humanitarian entrant
If you are not sure which citizenship option is for you, use the Citizenship Wizard
The citizenship test is designed to assess whether you have an adequate knowledge of Australia and the responsibilities and privileges of Australian citizenship.
The test is also designed to assess whether you have a basic knowledge of the English language.
Citizenship ceremonies are special events where applicants for citizenship are required to make the Australian Citizenship Pledge. This is the final step in the journey to become an Australian citizen.
to view more on Citizenship Ceremonies
Australian Citizenship Day
Australian citizenship day is celebrated each year on 17 September. It is a special day to reflect on and celebrate being an Australian citizen.
to view more on Australian Citizenship Day
This article covers general information about Becoming an Australian Citizen. Please use it as a guide only.